Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sweet little seeds...

February is my favorite time to organize seeds and order from colorful seed catalogs.
Here's my must order suggestions from my top two favorite catalogs:

Custom lettuce mixes for spring and summer, sweet pea Matucana, Zinnia Old Mexico, radish d'Avignon, Speedy bush bean, nasturtium Peach Melba, and kale Lacinato.

Cucumber Mexican Sour Gherkin, Flashy Troutsback lettuce, spinach Bloomsdale Savoy, Love Lies Bleeding, Sun Gold cherry tomato, and sweet pea Late Spencer Choice.

This year I'm also trying some new things: French Sorrel, Rose Fin Apple fingerling potatoes, and a purple shelling pea called Blauschokker from Abundant Life Seeds.

The Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds catalog has beautiful close up photos this year. I can't wait to try out some of their increadible heirloom squash and pumpkins but they have over 100 to choose from so it hard to decide which one. These two for sure!












I keep all my seeds in a metal container organized by months (February to Fall). Cut up file drawer folders and make tabs organized by when to start in the cold frame, direct sow into the garden or when to start inside under the grow lights.

2 comments:

  1. What to split any of your seed packets? We could do a 75/25 split if you think you might have any seeds that you won't use the entire package!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I have some things left over from last year that have to be used up this year too.

    ReplyDelete