Sometimes an old friend needs a little help, a little work done. As I stitched a patch on my old Raggedy Ann Doll's leg, I was reminded of her journey.In the 70's she became my doll, in all her red yarn hair glory, with her chest tattoo reminder that she loved me. I remember when my Dad said we were going to meet my future step sister who had red hair, I asked him: "Does she have red hair like my Raggedy Ann doll?"
I'm certain I played with Ann for several years, but for the rest of my childhood years and into adulthood I simply forgot all about Ann.
Then one day, when our daughter was about 9 months old, a large box arrived. I opened the box, and to my surprise there she was! Along with a little note from my childhood friend Terra reminding me that I had given Ann to her years ago, and that I had probably forgotten doing this and all about the doll. Terra had been waiting for me to have a baby girl to send her back to me. I cried tears of joy seeing Raggedy Ann! Instantly I peeked at her tattoo to see if she still loved me. Then through the tears I couldn't help but smile seeing my daughter give her a huge squeeze.
Today, Ann needed some more work: a nice red and white spotted felt leg patch. We are so happy this vintage Knickerbocker Raggedy Ann doll still loves us and we love her.


No comments:
Post a Comment